Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Kelley USA

Re: Uptown Dallas: Business Openings and Closings

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Jun 2019 10:57

Primo's is returning to it's original location on McKinney Ave as a more elevated concept... The interesting note, it'll be owned by Mehrdad Moayedi of Centurion American who apparently is starting a new company called Refined Hospitality Group.

https://cravedfw.com/2019/06/25/primos- ... t-concept/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Jun 2019 11:13

From their store website...
store200-hero.jpg

Before from Google Maps...
foxtrot-orginally.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 25 Jun 2019 11:17

yes, that definitely shows how this is an upgraded corner. I hope Foxtrot sets a new standard along McKinney for how well it draws people in and invites them to linger/socialize on the street.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Jun 2019 11:24

The Foxtrot space looks great! I agree, I hope they set the standard for future developments along McKinney Ave.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Jun 2019 10:42

Kelley USA wrote:Primo's is returning to it's original location on McKinney Ave as a more elevated concept... The interesting note, it'll be owned by Mehrdad Moayedi of Centurion American who apparently is starting a new company called Refined Hospitality Group.

https://cravedfw.com/2019/06/25/primos- ... t-concept/

I remember going once back in the day. At the time, it didn't really seem like anything special, but I much prefer a restaurant like this over So&Sos, Parlay, etc..

With this and Foxtrot, I'm feeling better about the direction McKinney Ave is headed in. Hopefully now with Circo gone, they can replace it with a restaurant that will better suite the neighborhood.

Does anyone know anything about these two buildings. I know the further one is the former TBD bar, which has been vacant ever since that place closed down. Is the other building still being utilized by an apartment locator? This particular area seems to be very underutilized, IMO:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8042724 ... 384!8i8192

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 26 Jun 2019 17:25

Lived in the high rise apartments just north of that (McKinney Uptown) for two years. Both buildings have been closed/abandoned since before summer 2016. I always heard that the owner of that parking lot makes a ton of money off valet/parking for the bars across the street and hasn't had an interest to sell it.

I must admit that while I'm happy Primo's is going in, I'm disappointed they want to essentially make it millennial friendly with a trendier name and "modern" cocktails.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jun 2019 17:28

Yeah, I imagine he would make more if he tore down those derelict buildings then. The land will go for a pretty penny for another apartment tower at some point. All his patience is paying off with the Central Market coming just down the street.

Lakewood2Uptown

Postby Lakewood2Uptown » 26 Jun 2019 20:17

emmasensei wrote:Went to Foxtrot Corner Market on McKinney this morning for their grand opening (hey, they were giving out free coffee!). The store itself is fine, but what I really liked was the store's integration with the pedestrian realm. The patio is the real star of the show, and there was a nice bustle with lots of folks walking their dogs to and fro.

Love this place. The perfect addition to the neighborhood.

I can't believe Primo's is coming back. Foxtrot and Primo's give me hope for Uptown. Now just get the Central Market here!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Jun 2019 13:40

I visited Foxtrot yesterday and really loved the space, and think it's a great addition to the neighborhood. It looks like it provides a bit of everything, and, surprisingly, it seems to execute it pretty well. There's a very decent wine and beer selection for anyone who wants to grab a drink and hang out, it looks like they do coffee as well, and have outlets and wi-fi for people who want a place to study/work. In addition to grab and go items, they offered a decent amount of frozen foods and also some snacks.

I was there on a Thursday at around 9pm, and there was a decent amount of people who were hanging out on the patio, and also just popping in to get something to go.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 10 Jul 2019 00:57

Car wash/gas station closed?

The car wash/gas station at Lemmon East and Cole has all the pay slots on the car wash and gas pumps covered over and marked out of service. There was a small rig taking samples. Perhaps checking for gasoline leaks.

Has anyone heard of a problem there?

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 10 Jul 2019 08:41

Redblock wrote:Car wash/gas station closed?

The car wash/gas station at Lemmon East and Cole has all the pay slots on the car wash and gas pumps covered over and marked out of service. There was a small rig taking samples. Perhaps checking for gasoline leaks.

Probably just getting ready to raze the site and put up a Walgreens. There's a definite need in that area.

rogerroger

Postby rogerroger » 10 Jul 2019 11:11

exelone31 wrote:
Probably just getting ready to raze the site and put up a Walgreens. There's a definite need in that area.

haha.. Yeah, if we could only be so lucky to get another suburban type of pharmacy on that site, it would complete the trifecta with Walgreens and CVS.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 10 Jul 2019 11:49

Wasn't there a proposal for a Pollo Tropical a few years back for this plot? That would have been a disaster seeing as they didn't last very long in this market. The owners would actually make a killing if they tore down the current car wash / gas station and built one of those drive-thru car washes with the free vacuums. Not saying I want that, but they would make a fortune!

dch526

Postby dch526 » 10 Jul 2019 12:08

Redblock wrote:Car wash/gas station closed?

A few years back when Texas Land and Cattle was still in business, I had heard rumors of a 7-story apartment complex going in to replace the TLC, gas station & car wash. With this site being about the size of the Taylor, I wouldn't be surprised if a 15-20 story tower goes in here if this is indication of a development.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jul 2019 16:32

A little luck....maybe something good will happen here.