Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Henderson Avenue Corridor

DPatel304

Re: Henderson Avenue Corridor

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Apr 2018 09:37

I'm very excited for this project, so it's good to see it's moving forward. Henderson seems to have a lot of great restaurants/bars, but the infrastructure is severely lacking. This will be a huge step in the right direction.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 07 Jun 2018 14:47

Yes, I'm encouraged by Masinter's investment in the neighborhood. It's not my neighborhood, but the NIMBYs who were overacting this drama (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJp4THVsVe0 :o ) were the same ones who voted down a DART station there. Taxpayers may feel like they are naturally the owners of their neighborhood, and like all existing city infrastructure in that neighborhood exists purely to serve their current preferences, but that's a limited-admissions bubble that existing property taxes don't cover.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 07 Jun 2018 15:45

I45Tex wrote:Yes, I'm encouraged by Masinter's investment in the neighborhood. It's not my neighborhood, but the NIMBYs who were overacting this drama (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJp4THVsVe0 :o ) were the same ones who voted down a DART station there. Taxpayers may feel like they are naturally the owners of their neighborhood, and like all existing city infrastructure in that neighborhood exists purely to serve their current preferences, but that's a limited-admissions bubble that existing property taxes don't cover.

Concerned Resident: "Traffic is traffic, man...We don't have flying cars"

Uber: "Hold my beer."

Fin

Seriously though, is traffic really the big concern here? I'd be curious how traffic patterns have changed with the road-slimming rebirth of lowest Greenville Avenue, which is pretty close by. It seems like those neighborhoods manage it fairly well (from my very outside view). If I were a resident, I'd definitely prefer places to shop and eat over a desolate forest of rebar and crabgrass.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 07 Jun 2018 22:45

Gotta love the mentality of wanting to live close to/in the city but not want the city noise/traffic/life.