Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Henderson Avenue Corridor

eburress

Re: Henderson Avenue Corridor

Postby eburress » 01 Sep 2019 15:14

Trying to drive down Henderson in front of 77 Degrees last night at 1:00AM was a sh!t show. And frankly I'm not bothered by the traffic; I'll just use alternative routes on the weekends. It does though reinforce the feeling I have that these people didn't know what they were doing or where they were doing it.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Sep 2019 22:30

eburress wrote:Trying to drive down Henderson in front of 77 Degrees last night at 1:00AM was a sh!t show. And frankly I'm not bothered by the traffic; I'll just use alternative routes on the weekends. It does though reinforce the feeling I have that these people didn't know what they were doing or where they were doing it.

This doesn't sound very good. Maybe it will be a short lived thing, people will get bored and move on.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 Sep 2019 07:48

It might be just the thing the neighborhood has been missing. Everything there is so buttoned-up and scripted and planogrammed that a disorganized, thrown-together Double-D pretentious playground is prefect, and the views are apparently all that. This side of Knox-Henderson needs some shaking up from the sound of it.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 02 Sep 2019 08:41

tamtagon wrote:Everything there is so buttoned-up and scripted

Wait, what?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 Sep 2019 08:53

Lose reference to Park Cities refinement. High end everything and fine dining.

Get a little sloppy; Knox used to be a hippy hollow, bring some of that back.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 02 Sep 2019 09:12

tamtagon wrote:It might be just the thing the neighborhood has been missing. Everything there is so buttoned-up and scripted and planogrammed that a disorganized, thrown-together Double-D pretentious playground is prefect, and the views are apparently all that. This side of Knox-Henderson needs some shaking up from the sound of it.

Agreed. I think it could be a way to connect Lower Greenville to Henderson. Be nice to have one big corridor.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 02 Sep 2019 09:17

My life on this side of the Central Expressway has been anything but buttoned-up. In fact, there's a certain dusty, chaotic lawlessness...several SUVs parked on the streets surrounding my house just had all their tires/rims stolen a few days ago, so I doubt we need more shaking up. But sure. I do agree that Knox is more pretentious and suffers from Highland Park spillover.

More tidbits: there's a shabby two-story building on the corner of Capitol and Fitzhugh, right in front of eburress's most-hated CVS, that appears to be turning over. It used to be nothing but Metro PCS, vape shops, and bail bonds, but now it's been cleaned out and put up for sale. I'm guessing the strip of old buildings along that stretch of Fitzhugh (Mexican grocery store, laundromat, another MetroPCS) will be the next casualties of gentrification. Kind of a shame, because the taco stand inside that grocery store is lit.

Emeralds to Coconuts on Henderson is also for sale now.
Last edited by emmasensei on 02 Sep 2019 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 02 Sep 2019 09:31

That is unfortunate to hear, exactly this mix on Fitzhugh is what makes this part of town exciting. The "Dallasification" of all of its neighborhoods is transforming the city in to one large "Blah" of Stucco and 3 story townhomes.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 02 Sep 2019 10:15

It's a balance we need to strike. I definitely moved here because the vibe was more grounded, down-to-earth, and pedestrian-friendly. I still think it's the area with the most personality in Central Dallas, and I love being able to quickly transition from Henderson into the M-Streets and Cochran Heights and over to Lower Greenville. However, I'm decidedly unhappy with the amount of crime in the area. I'm the type of urbanist who would rather see even more feet and eyes on the streets (as opposed to immediately calling for way more police) to tamp down on petty thefts, purse snatchings, and debauchery. This part of East Dallas just needs more residents to take more pride in their neighborhood.

eburress

Postby eburress » 02 Sep 2019 16:11

emmasensei wrote:Emeralds to Coconuts on Henderson is also for sale now.

Interesting, I didn't realize that. That could be a really cool spot if developed properly (i.e., not a Right Aid or mattress store)! haha

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 02 Sep 2019 16:38

If Emeralds to Coconuts becomes another CVS, we take to the potholed streets and we riot.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 02 Sep 2019 16:51

emmasensei wrote:If Emeralds to Coconuts becomes another CVS, we take to the potholed streets and we riot.

haha - agreed! I hate the CVS on capital. I pretty much hate every CVS built within a 5 mile radius of downtown. Still bitter at the one that took away the original Loon

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 02 Sep 2019 20:03

I hate the CVS in the Bishop Arts. They tore down my favorite Mexican restaurant

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 02 Sep 2019 20:09

MC_ScattCat wrote:I hate the CVS in the Bishop Arts. They tore down my favorite Mexican restaurant

El Corazon de Tejas was amazing. It is the only reason I make the drive to McKinney every once in a while.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 02 Sep 2019 21:24

This end of Henderson is anything but "buttoned-up and scripted."

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 03 Sep 2019 06:04

MC_ScattCat wrote:I hate the CVS in the Bishop Arts. They tore down my favorite Mexican restaurant

This! Exactly what I mentioned in my last post. El Corazon was one of my favorite restaurants in Dallas. The fact that what probably should have been a historic building was torn down for a CVS proves to me that Dallas has no idea how to take care of what it has.

eburress

Postby eburress » 03 Sep 2019 07:20

ContriveDallasite wrote:

This! Exactly what I mentioned in my last post. El Corazon was one of my favorite restaurants in Dallas. The fact that what probably should have been a historic building was torn down for a CVS proves to me that Dallas has no idea how to take care of what it has.

Yeah, this one was really bad.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 08 Sep 2019 16:17

"EscapeHatch has learned that the Irving-based Del Frisco’s Restaurant Group (Del Frisco’s Grill, Del Frisco’s Double Eagle and Sullivan’s Steakhouse) plans to open Barcelona Wine Bar, an upscale casual dining restaurant that specializes in Spanish and Mediterranean small plates and wines, in a former mechanic’s garage in the 5000 block of Miller Avenue and Henderson Avenue, adjacent to The Porch. Barcelona Wine Bars typically sport large outdoor patios."

Barcelona has a location in Boston, and it was my single favorite restaurant in the entire city. Food is incredible. This is VERY exciting for Henderson. Barcelona is very chic--I'd put it on the same level as Up On Knox, so the fact that yet another upscale restaurant is coming to Henderson, right on the heels of Enrique Tomas taking over Mesero, makes it feel like the street is evolving into a true destination. yay!

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 Sep 2019 19:24

Very very cool!

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 09 Sep 2019 11:36

Do we have a cool "Little Spain" district starting to take shape? Would be a really cool concentrated pocket.

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Sep 2019 12:34

We have a Little Ireland "district" further down Henderson, so why not a Little Spain as well? lol

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Sep 2019 12:58

I love that we have one or two/three places and we are calling it a little ______. Things that count as diversity in the south I guess.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 09 Sep 2019 15:48

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I love that we have one or two/three places and we are calling it a little ______. Things that count as diversity in the south I guess.

I don't think it's too common to find Spanish restaurants in the area, much less several in close proximity.

If you have two open recently in the same area, one might muse that something is possibly "starting to take shape".
It hasn't taken shape, mind you, that would be a conclusion much too rash to assume at this juncture.

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Sep 2019 17:54

There's that, and there's also the fact we're joking. Obviously nobody's seriously suggesting there's a little anything forming on Henderson...

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Sep 2019 18:11

Checked out 77 Degrees on Saturday night. All I can say is wow. Can’t get over how massive and out of place it looks.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Sep 2019 18:19

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I love that we have one or two/three places and we are calling it a little ______. Things that count as diversity in the south I guess.

Tons of diversity in DFW, just not as much near the urban core..

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Sep 2019 09:20

Don't worry guys ive read the same pie charts as well I know how much diversity we have the joke still stands though.