Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Uptown Dallas: McKinney/Boll Tower - 2614 McKinney Ave - (18 ST)

The_Overdog

Re: Uptown Dallas: McKinney/Boll Tower - 2614 McKinney Ave - (18 ST)

Postby The_Overdog » 02 Mar 2017 15:46

Like they care about filling it beyond the desire to spend less investment on concrete parking garages.

Right, but if a company rents a space at $100 per sq foot with the assumption that they will need 100 spaces, and it turns out they only need 10, then they are going to want to renegotiate that the next time the negotiation comes up. It's really no different than the northern cities wanting to re-negotiate their water contracts which are based on their highest use rather than average or current use.

Or the building manager wants tenants to use all the building's available amenities to justify prices.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Mar 2017 16:16

All the deals I am aware of simply lock in a number of spots dedicated to each tenant as part of the lease.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 02 Mar 2017 16:39

They care in the sense that it's probably pretty painful to see that something that cost you a lot of money to build is not valued by your tenants. If they can't even fill it, then it's a pure loss. Not 100% rational, but hey, developers are people too. They have feelings.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Sep 2017 14:03

This is not related to the upcoming development, but it is related to Idle Rich (sorry for bumping this thread and getting everyone's hopes up):
https://www.facebook.com/IdleRichPub/ph ... =3&theater

Looks like they are converting some (or all?) of the parking lot into a bar for Labor Day weekend. I'm not sure if they have done this before, but I would like to see more stuff like this done. Plenty of good usable surface lot space in Uptown and Deep Ellum that could be quickly converted to more bar space or for food trucks, and, if successful enough, these bars might make this more of a permanent conversion.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Nov 2017 19:41

A longtime Irish pub that opened long before Uptown Dallas became Uptown Dallas is closing. After 13 years, The Idle Rich Pub will close in January 2018, giving pub fans two months to attend the wake.

Owner Feargal McKinney posted a note on Facebook reflecting on the pub's long lifespan in a neighborhood that's been swept by change.

"Hard to believe but it is almost 14 years since I signed the lease at the former O'Dowd's space on McKinney Ave and got to work on opening The Idle Rich Pub," McKinney writes. "Uptown was downright sleepy back then, we had no idea what was ahead. I have had 14 great years and met many new friends and invaluable employees. Several still-current employees started there opening night. Unfortunately, our lease expires at the end of January 2018, and our final day of business will be sometime in January."

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... ch-closes/

Idle Rich's days are numbered...