Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Tnexster

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Postby Tnexster » 17 Jul 2020 13:54

I've seen some cities do some innovative things to help retail expand it's footprint during pandemic. Most of that means closing streets to cars and expanding the sideway experience to the full street. Basically creates a completely outdoor shopping experience and for restaurants it expands table options and allows for more effective socially distant dining. Granted, it could be hot here but the evenings would be okay.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 17 Jul 2020 15:09

It's tough. In my opinion, there's SO much construction chaos in such a small area that even if the streets were closed to traffic (which I'm all for), walking around Knox is pretty unpleasant right now. At this point, I'm just hoping the end of COVID dovetails with the completion of some of these projects, and we can start fresh.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really sad about Knox getting hammered, but I also think a lot of the suburban mall chain stores felt dated and were just clinging to life. Spots like Kate Spade and Z Gallerie are a lot less relevant/stylish than they were in the early 2000s.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 17 Jul 2020 16:13

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Covid has been hard on retail.

You can thank the arbitrary restrictions early on that permitted hundreds of shoppers to cram into big-box stores selling "essential" goods while closing boutique/specialty stores that average, what, 5 customers at any given time? It's clear that a lot of people went to "essential" businesses to have an excuse to get out of the house, and of course big box retailers like Walmart and Target were still able to sell "non-essential" items that people would otherwise buy at a shop on Knox Street or any of the other urban retail centers.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Jul 2020 12:39

Also look at what Bishop Arts did comparison to other shopping areas. As soon as they could be permitted they had street side setups that made Bishop Arts look like a year around street festival selling food and retail items without a hesitation to if it would work. Then you look at places like Knox where all the streets are major pass through's for traffic from 75 to Uptown to Highland Park etc so taking up outside spaces becomes impossible and somewhat dangerous since the sidewalks are already narrow and there is limited street parking to take even temporarily for such setups. I wonder who is truly doing worse? Is it the boutique shopping area not on a major freeway or is it the shopping and dinning area that has taken to the streets.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

electricron

Postby electricron » 19 Jul 2020 09:17

I have no idea who is actually doing better, small shops in large shopping districts or large stand alone stores. Both attract their own style of shoppers.
In Texas during the hot and humid summer season, outdoor shopping will never be popular. We need air conditioning. That's why indoor malls became popular in the first place, and why all inclusive big box stores are today. Air conditioning is important.

The recent trend for outdoor shopping internationally - especially in Europe where it never disappeared because air conditioning was not needed - in my humble opinion is the result of non smoking laws which chased the smokers outside. That's the main reason why malls are not as popular today. The shopping sprees lasting more than an hour are becoming more and more infrequent, as shoppers desiring to get it over with quickly has increased. That's the major reason why all inclusive big box store4s have become more popular - speed.

There will always be shoppers desiring hours of fun and access to the outdoors. Whichever way you prefer to shop, I hope your town or city is large enough to provide them.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 20 Jul 2020 11:38

electricron wrote:The recent trend for outdoor shopping internationally - especially in Europe where it never disappeared because air conditioning was not needed - in my humble opinion is the result of non smoking laws which chased the smokers outside. That's the main reason why malls are not as popular today. The shopping sprees lasting more than an hour are becoming more and more infrequent, as shoppers desiring to get it over with quickly has increased. That's the major reason why all inclusive big box stores have become more popular - speed.

There will always be shoppers desiring hours of fun and access to the outdoors. Whichever way you prefer to shop, I hope your town or city is large enough to provide them.

Europe definitely has more outdoor shopping, both in the sense of traditional street markets which never went away, as well as pedestrianized city centers where a few blocks of "roads" (I use quotes because the roads were one lane about 6 feet wide.) have been closed off to cars or restricted to only allow access outside of shopping hours for truck deliveries, etc. Closing those streets to car traffic had very minor impact on traffic because they weren't major thoroughfares. Also, in most cities outside of London/Paris, those outdoor shopping areas also featured *huge* car parks, the idea being that people still drive into the city and park at the edge of the pedestrianized area, then walk to the various stores to do their shopping (the walk being tolerable as it doesn't reach 100 on a regular basis in Europe).

Knox is a fairly important arterial - closing it or Cole/McKinney off in favor of outdoor shopping isn't feasible and such a move would no doubt impact where the high net worth shopper that Knox street appeals to goes to get their cutlery or iPhones or kids toys.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 11 Sep 2020 14:22

The new RH store appears to be topped out. They seem to be starting an above ground parking garage in back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 11 Sep 2020 14:27

Weirs Plaza is above ground level now. They have installed the framing required to rebuild the old Highland Park Pharmacy building.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jegchachi

Postby jegchachi » 12 Sep 2020 08:04

Some additional update pics.

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Sep 2020 09:56

LongonBigD wrote:The new RH store appears to be topped out. They seem to be starting an above ground parking garage in back.

I haven't been paying close attention to RH's plans for a hotel so this may be irrelevant, but I wonder if the garage will be built in a way that it can potentially accommodate a future hotel structure above.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 13 Sep 2020 00:02

jegchachi wrote:Some additional update pics.

Great pics, thanks for posting. My main take away from these is how great 75 is here. I wish all highways around the urban core were trenched in such a manner. From this vantage point you truly would not know it was there if you didn't already know what to look for.

eburress

Postby eburress » 13 Sep 2020 22:58

You're right!. From this perspective you'd never know there was a freeway going through there!

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 02 Oct 2020 10:49

Parking garage going up behind new RH (in the background).

It appears to be pre-fab parts and should go up very quickly. I did notice that the tops of the outer sections appear to have detailing (sorta like crown molding). I found that amusing, but didn’t take pics.