Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

tanzoak

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Postby tanzoak » 15 Sep 2017 14:29

And I'm pretty sure Tivo meant that 14 stories was not "too tall" in the context of an urban core environment, not that he thought the current zoning allowed for it.

Dtown214

Postby Dtown214 » 15 Sep 2017 15:42

I like it!

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 25 Sep 2017 00:05

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 25 Sep 2017 00:28

The Hudson 9-24-17

ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 14 Nov 2017 22:10

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2017/11/14/knox-streets-familiar-weirs-furniture-block-getting-high-rise-makeover

Knox Street's familiar Weir's Furniture block is getting a high-rise makeover

Dallas' popular Knox Street business district is set for a makeover with a major new project.

The owners of Weir's Furniture and Atlanta-based developer Geyer Morris Co. plan to build a high-rise retail and office development on the site of the almost 70-year-old store.

For several months, the Weir family and the developers have worked to design the project, which preserves the Highland Park Soda Fountain building — more than a century old — on the corner of Knox and Travis streets.

"We are focused on saving that soda fountain building — that's been an original desire of ours," said Geyer Morris' Justin Schoellkopf. "We've let this dictate the design of the rest of the project."

Architects GFF and ArchiTexas have designed a mixed-use development that would wrap around the two-story soda fountain building.

The lower floors would have retail and office and step back from the street to a 12-story office high-rise.

Parking for the 50,000 square feet of retail space and offices in the tower would be in a six-level underground garage.

"It's expensive, but we wanted to do it," Schoellkopf said.

The planned building would be the first major office addition to the Knox Street area since the 1980s.

Schoellkopf said the offices would be tailored for family businesses, companies that want to be close to the next-door Park Cities and other firms.

Construction could start as soon as late next year.

Weir's would close its Knox Street location temporarily while the development is underway, said CEO Mark Moore.

"This is our birthplace," Moore said. "It's always been our family's vision to stay here."

Image]

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Nov 2017 23:48

Holy crap, what an awesome looking project. A very nice surprise for this area. Well done!

eburress

Postby eburress » 15 Nov 2017 05:47

Definitely! What a great addition, and I love they're going with underground parking and obviously that they're keeping the Soda Fountain building!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Nov 2017 09:43

That's two towers supposedly coming next to each other here. the Sarofim Residential/Retail at Travis and Knox and this Weirs Office Tower. Also, Restoration Hardware will build out a denser hotel on their land down the block.

Highland Park is going to be pissed if both the Sarofim and Weirs Tower get built. The attack of the 10-12 story towers!!! Oh the humanity.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 15 Nov 2017 13:07

https://candysdirt.com/2017/10/04/alliance-goes-round-three-with-the-oak-lawn-committee-with-new-vision-for-armstrong-and-cole-project/

Alliance Goes Round 3 With Oak Lawn Committee, Offers New Vision for Armstrong And Cole Project

You may recall the two prior OLC meetings where this project on Armstrong and Cole from Alliance Residential was presented (here, here). It was a thuddingly dense building with 340 apartments in a combined five- and seven- story design. The lot was crowded and crammed with what appeared to be wall-to-wall units.

Last night, they returned with a vastly different configuration. The same 340-unit density, but they siphoned units off the back 80 percent of the lot and placed them in a high-rise on Armstrong Avenue. This left the very northern part of the property with a 22-story, 240-foot high-rise with the remainder of the property within MF-2’s height of three stories. It was a pretty neat trick that I personally thought was a heck of a lot better than the prior iterations.

The tower could either face east-west or north-south. Personally, the north-south configuration looked better to me, but I’m just an audience member at these shindigs. I’m showing both so you can have your own armchair opinions. Sure, a tower is probably more controversial for some, but I liked the freer space in the back and thought it was a decent trade-off.

Of course, I’m not the keeper of the keys of PD-193, so the OLC’s ultimate thoughts may not mesh with my more short-term, eye candy impressions.

They also came to the table with a seemingly more generous affordable housing component to the plan. What was 10 units for folks making <80 percent of the median income in Dallas has been upped to a full 10 percent of their 340 units (that’s 34 for the coffee deprived). And these tenants would only have to make <50 percent of the median income and they’d take vouchers.

The OLC had a lot of questions on the affordable component specifically revolving around the longevity of these units’ availability in the program. They didn’t want the developer to sell the project and have the affordable units vanish. Alliance representatives said that they’d write it into their zoning so they’d be there as long as the building stood. Good answer.

The other more telling, and saddening, question was whether the city had formulated wording for this type of affordable component being inserted into a development. No. The City of Dallas remains too lazy to even get guidelines ironed out and available to developers, let alone actual policies. “Stuck in committee” is the catch-all phrase most used.

After the OLC was done peppering their questions, I had one question … the last iteration had one-bedroom units whose walls didn’t reach the ceiling (no window). Do those units now have a window in their bedrooms that allow them to have four to-the-ceiling walls? Unfortunately, the Alliance representative had left before I could buttonhole him after the meeting.

Original Design

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 15 Nov 2017 15:57

That's a lot of news in one day for this little neighborhood. I like the Weir's proposal. It's great that they are keeping the soda fountain building. I'm surprised at 12-stories directly on Knox, but it seems to be the trend (RH and Sarofim going up, up, up).

The new Armstrong/Cole proposal is so much better, but could still use some tweaking. They are moving in the right direction. The new concept is a good compromise (height at one end of the property--stepping down to 3-stories at the south end). I thought the days of 3-story construction around here were disappearing due to land costs. Of course a 20-story tower kills the downtown views of all those dentist offices to the north at 4514 Cole tower.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 15 Nov 2017 20:02

Also remember On the Border will be moving to downtown so that the lot on Knox can be redeveloped.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Nov 2017 20:45

R1070 wrote:Also remember On the Border will be moving to downtown so that the lot on Knox can be redeveloped.

Where in downtown? OTB would be cool there.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 15 Nov 2017 21:35

R1070 wrote:Also remember On the Border will be moving to downtown so that the lot on Knox can be redeveloped.

I didnt remember about OTB relo. Not surprised, the writing’s been on the wall since Chili’s exit. If so, that’s a very nice sized lot (assuming parking lot and Kate Spade included).

Is there someone who knows how well the C&B store does in sales? Any chance that store would be part of a redevelopment of that entire block? Hate to see it.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 16 Nov 2017 20:54

The On the Border and Kate Spade buildings with rear parking would go for a mixed use development and C&B is supposed to stay put. The On The Border is said to open in the West End area next year.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 16 Nov 2017 21:58

R1070 wrote:The On the Border and Kate Spade buildings with rear parking would go for a mixed use development and C&B is supposed to stay put. The On The Border is said to open in the West End area next year.

Wasn't On the Border already in the West End until closing a a few years ago?

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 18 Nov 2017 16:20

https://candysdirt.com/2017/11/15/weirs-furniture-engages-olc-rebuild-knox-home-compete-coming-restoration-hardware/

Weir’s Furniture Engages OLC to Rebuild Knox Home to Compete With Coming Restoration Hardware

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 18 Nov 2017 20:04

The Eataly rumor appears again. It could actually work in this neighborhood.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 18 Nov 2017 20:45

I think Eataly would be great on Knox. I also like that the Travis street parking will be converted to parallel parking along the HP Pharmacy.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 18 Nov 2017 23:13

It's clear that the Highland Park Soda Fountain building will get some much needed restoration, but does this mean that the restaurant will close??? It is currently the oldest restaurant in Dallas and quite charming. It would be a terrible loss to see it go.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 19 Nov 2017 08:58

It was my understanding that the HP Soda Fountain will stay in operation as it is today even if the building gets a little TLC.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Nov 2017 09:55

cowboyeagle05 wrote:That's two towers supposedly coming next to each other here. the Sarofim Residential/Retail at Travis and Knox and this Weirs Office Tower. Also, Restoration Hardware will build out a denser hotel on their land down the block.

Highland Park is going to be pissed if both the Sarofim and Weirs Tower get built. The attack of the 10-12 story towers!!! Oh the humanity.

Parkies have probably realized their world improves as this slice of Dallas builds up and as nice a place to live as the Park Cities can provide, Knox-McCommas is on track to match the quality of life, just without a lawn. Cole Park will be a different place in a generation. Such a strong retail destination forming on Knox, and outstanding evolution of the Dallas marketplace. It's really coming together.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 20 Nov 2017 12:37

Curious to know where that On The Border news came from.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 20 Nov 2017 20:40

lakewoodhobo wrote:Curious to know where that On The Border news came from.

From people that work at On the Border.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Nov 2017 21:17

Maybe Chuy's will move back downtown.... it's totally nice to have the affordable Tex-Mex on Knox, but that corner is calling for something much much more. Besides, the downtown Chuy's location was x10 better.