Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Victory Park 3.0

User avatar
maconahey
Posts: 196
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:07

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby maconahey » 17 Jan 2018 14:36

From the City Plan Commission's agenda for tomorrow:
http://dallascityhall.com/government/me ... EVISED.pdf

CITY PLAN COMMISSION THURSDAY, JANUARY 18, 2018
FILE NUMBER: S178-063 SUBDIVISION ADMINISTRATOR: Paul Nelson
LOCATION: Victory Avenue at All Star Way, east of Stemmons Freeway.
DATE FILED: November 20, 2017 ZONING: PD 582
http://dallascityattorney.com/51P/Artic ... %20582.pdf
CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT: 2 SIZE OF REQUEST: 2.891-Acres MAPSCO: 45-E
APPLICANT/OWNER: Anland North Commercial, LP
REQUEST: An application to replat a 2.891-acre tract of land containing part of Lot 1B in
City Block A/1277 to create one lot on property located on Victory Avenue at All Star Way,
east of Stemmons Freeway.


http://dallascityhall.com/government/me ... 78-063.pdf

User avatar
CTroyMathis
Site Admin
Posts: 147
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 19:51

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby CTroyMathis » 17 Jan 2018 19:28

I find the old-school rooftop water tank above the DART-station-facing garage a unique touch all things considered. Nice little nod, although I'd love to see a couple of fairly tall ornamental smoke-stacks retro-fitted into a couple of non-diagonal corners of the AAC to really add a nod to history as well (unrelated to this particular project, of course). Think, Battersea Power Station minus two.

Anyway, this project also reminds me of 2011 Cedar Springs building a bit. . .

User avatar
Waldozer
Posts: 82
Joined: 12 Mar 2017 06:30

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Waldozer » 21 Jan 2018 00:55

Cbdallas wrote:And now Apple has jumped into HQ2!

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-bu ... ees-2018-1


Apple has already said they won’t be following Amazon’s long bidding process and they won’t be building HQ2 in Texas.

User avatar
mwaskow
Posts: 29
Joined: 24 Mar 2017 14:47

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby mwaskow » 22 Jan 2018 16:57

Waldozer wrote:
Cbdallas wrote:And now Apple has jumped into HQ2!

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-bu ... ees-2018-1


Apple has already said they won’t be following Amazon’s long bidding process and they won’t be building HQ2 in Texas.


Where did you hear or see that??

Tnexster
Posts: 1080
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Tnexster » 22 Jan 2018 20:32

^It was all over the news almost as soon as the announcement was made, they said they already have a significant presence in Texas and would not be looking for another location in the state.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 457
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Feb 2018 15:56

Victory Park retail block to get redo and new tenants
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ew-tenants

Investor WRC Advisors bought the retail center in the ground floor of the House condominium tower at Lamar and Houston streets on the northwest corner of downtown.

Part of the property has been empty since the 28-story House condo high-rise was built in 2007.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 372
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby R1070 » 02 Feb 2018 21:29

What's going into the retail space?

User avatar
Austin55
Posts: 52
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 00:02
Contact:

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Austin55 » 05 Feb 2018 20:43

Brewed+Pressed going in at Skyhouse

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 97
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby mdg109 » 05 Feb 2018 21:47

Nice! I was at VP yesterday afternoon and was surprised at how busy Freshii was. Afterward, I went to Cafe Victoria and it too was pretty steady with customers. VP will be a nice place to spend time at once all the new retail opens.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1054
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby tamtagon » 05 Feb 2018 21:52

Are there still any apartment complexes under construction in Victory Park?

User avatar
ForumFollowsFunction
Posts: 9
Joined: 09 May 2017 08:35

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby ForumFollowsFunction » 05 Feb 2018 22:10

tamtagon wrote:Are there still any apartment complexes under construction in Victory Park?


I drive past this one almost every day. It’s been topped out for a long time but still not done from what I can tell. Plywood covers all the windows on the south side and there’s still construction equipment on site.

https://the23dallas.com

User avatar
nth016
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Aug 2017 13:14

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby nth016 » 06 Feb 2018 12:48

ForumFollowsFunction wrote:
tamtagon wrote:Are there still any apartment complexes under construction in Victory Park?


I drive past this one almost every day. It’s been topped out for a long time but still not done from what I can tell. Plywood covers all the windows on the south side and there’s still construction equipment on site.

https://the23dallas.com


I live next to this site and it looks like they're trying to get the street level infrastructure and sidewalks completed, which makes sense as the website shows the first units being available beginning on the 15th, which is only next week. I also noticed last week that there is a liquor license posting, which I assume is either for Cinepolis or for Mesero.

Unrelated this tower, the retail space across the street at The Vista being completed by Rebees appears to be named "Billy Can Can" and "Hatchways". Also, work appears to have begun on the former Kenichi space.

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 344
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby willyk » 13 Feb 2018 22:23

I have a friend who lives at Skyhouse. When his lease came up for renewal they unilaterally lowered his rent by $200/mo. I fear weak residential demand in VP until they get all of the retail open.

But the retail seems very slow in coming. They only reason I can see for the delay is perhaps no one really expects the retail to click until the theater opens and starts attracting pedestrian traffic. So I guess the dominos are first the theater traffic, then retail demand and buildout, then residential demand comes on and rents firm up.

DPatel304
Posts: 758
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Feb 2018 23:37

Sounds about right. The movie theater will be a huge boost for the area, and hopefully, soon after, other retail starts to open.

That's disappointing to hear about Skyhouse lowering rents, but I've always felt Victory Park has been overpriced for quite a while. The residential buildings are definitely super nice, but the district is severely lacking, yet they want to charge prices that are comparable (and sometimes more) than Uptown.

User avatar
flyswatter
Posts: 70
Joined: 02 Nov 2016 07:31

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby flyswatter » 13 Feb 2018 23:58

DPatel304 wrote:That's disappointing to hear about Skyhouse lowering rents, but I've always felt Victory Park has been overpriced for quite a while. The residential buildings are definitely super nice, but the district is severely lacking, yet they want to charge prices that are comparable (and sometimes more) than Uptown.


I loved Skyhouse when I toured it a few years ago but thought the square footage was nowhere worth the rent they were demanding. When I saw they offered a lower rate to willyk's friend I went online to see if they were more reasonable...nope still $1575 for a 681 sq ft 1 bedroom apt. I can live in Miro with an extra 100 sq ft for about the same price. IMO Victory Park shouldn't be demanding uptown prices (yet).

User avatar
Kelley USA
Posts: 219
Joined: 27 Oct 2016 12:46

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Feb 2018 09:16

I guess I haven't checked Uptown apartment pricing lately... Those prices are comparable to the Urban Center in Las Colinas. New 1 bedroom apartments are going for $1500+. I think the 2 best additions for VP will be the movie theatre and Mesero's to get people coming down.

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 273
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby The_Overdog » 14 Feb 2018 10:44

That's disappointing to hear about Skyhouse lowering rents, but I've always felt Victory Park has been overpriced for quite a while.

It's not disappointing at all - it's great. The margins on apartment towers are not so tight that lowered rents will hold back development, and money in renters' pockets means they will spend on other things, and one could assume they would also be spending in Victory Park.

Of course vacancy could become a problem, but by all reports so far, DFW apartment vacancy numbers are very low.

DPatel304
Posts: 758
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Feb 2018 11:19

The_Overdog wrote:
That's disappointing to hear about Skyhouse lowering rents, but I've always felt Victory Park has been overpriced for quite a while.

It's not disappointing at all - it's great. The margins on apartment towers are not so tight that lowered rents will hold back development, and money in renters' pockets means they will spend on other things, and one could assume they would also be spending in Victory Park.

Of course vacancy could become a problem, but by all reports so far, DFW apartment vacancy numbers are very low.


If this is the only instance of lowered demand/rents, then, yes, I guess it's not too concerning. I know DFW apartment vacancy numbers have been low, but what about the urban core? Genuinely curious because it's a relatively newish area and over the past few years there has been a ton of new apartments built.

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 273
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby The_Overdog » 14 Feb 2018 13:38

I know DFW apartment vacancy numbers have been low, but what about the urban core?


The urban core numbers are fine.

User avatar
scott2
Posts: 4
Joined: 01 Jun 2017 16:22

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby scott2 » 14 Feb 2018 21:16

Still the problem is that rents are much higher than what it costs to buy a house in Dallas. I bought a nice house in Casa Linda last year. I pay almost half of what a rent on a high rise in Uptown or Victory costs. I realize many folks would prefer to rent depending on their personal financial situation.....but I found it crazy to pay rent on an apartment when you can buy something. Makes no sense. just me.

User avatar
dukemeredith
Posts: 242
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:17
Location: Downtown Dallas

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby dukemeredith » 14 Feb 2018 23:15

scott2 wrote:Still the problem is that rents are much higher than what it costs to buy a house in Dallas. I bought a nice house in Casa Linda last year. I pay almost half of what a rent on a high rise in Uptown or Victory costs. I realize many folks would prefer to rent depending on their personal financial situation.....but I found it crazy to pay rent on an apartment when you can buy something. Makes no sense. just me.



While I have not looked at homes in Casa Linda, my experience has been exactly the opposite of yours. I rent downtown and can walk to work, which has spoiled me a bit. As such, I cannot imagine having a commute greater than 20 minutes or so.

Purchasing a home of comparable size and quality to my 2 bedroom apartment, and in a good neighborhood within 20 minutes of my office, would easily cost several hundred dollars more per month than my current rent. This is, of course, after factoring in property taxes.

User avatar
tanzoak
Posts: 438
Joined: 18 Dec 2016 19:15

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby tanzoak » 15 Feb 2018 01:44

The_Overdog wrote:
That's disappointing to hear about Skyhouse lowering rents, but I've always felt Victory Park has been overpriced for quite a while.

It's not disappointing at all - it's great. The margins on apartment towers are not so tight that lowered rents will hold back development, and money in renters' pockets means they will spend on other things, and one could assume they would also be spending in Victory Park.

Of course vacancy could become a problem, but by all reports so far, DFW apartment vacancy numbers are very low.


Lol seriously. Damn. Greetings from the Bay Area.. lower rents due to a supply glut are a wonderful thing, and I wish that could happen here! Trying to allow that to happen is legit one of the biggest political issues here.

User avatar
vman
Posts: 63
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 07:44

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby vman » 15 Feb 2018 07:19

dukemeredith wrote:
scott2 wrote:Still the problem is that rents are much higher than what it costs to buy a house in Dallas. I bought a nice house in Casa Linda last year. I pay almost half of what a rent on a high rise in Uptown or Victory costs. I realize many folks would prefer to rent depending on their personal financial situation.....but I found it crazy to pay rent on an apartment when you can buy something. Makes no sense. just me.



While I have not looked at homes in Casa Linda, my experience has been exactly the opposite of yours. I rent downtown and can walk to work, which has spoiled me a bit. As such, I cannot imagine having a commute greater than 20 minutes or so.

Purchasing a home of comparable size and quality to my 2 bedroom apartment, and in a good neighborhood within 20 minutes of my office, would easily cost several hundred dollars more per month than my current rent. This is, of course, after factoring in property taxes.

I moved from downtown almost five years ago and purchased an older townhome in Las Colinas and it did indeed save me more money than what I was paying for rent. However, I purchased my home for less than half of my max mortgage limit and put down a pretty good down payment. If I wanted to purchase a home somewhat comparable to a downtown apartment within the "urban loop" now..factoring in the down payment, price of homes in good areas, maintenance, amenities (not to mention any renovations), I think renting is a better option for a lot of people.

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 106
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby dallaz » 19 Feb 2018 15:21

Developer pitching new office project in Dallas' Victory Park

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ctory-park


Developers in Dallas' Victory Park have just built four new apartment towers, a movie theater and additional retail.

Now an office tower is also in the works for the district on the northwest corner of downtown.
Developer Hillwood Urban is hunting tenants for a 15-story, 350,000-square-foot office that would be built next door to DART's Victory Park rail station.


"There is a lot of interest in that building since it sits right next to the DART station," said Mike Berry, president of Hillwood Properties. "We want it to have a cool, techy feel."


"More potential tenants are looking it at because of the tightness of the Uptown market," Berry said.

User avatar
f4shionablecha0s
Posts: 17
Joined: 09 Jan 2017 14:56

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby f4shionablecha0s » 19 Feb 2018 17:01

dallaz wrote:Developer pitching new office project in Dallas' Victory Park

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ctory-park


Developers in Dallas' Victory Park have just built four new apartment towers, a movie theater and additional retail.

Now an office tower is also in the works for the district on the northwest corner of downtown.
Developer Hillwood Urban is hunting tenants for a 15-story, 350,000-square-foot office that would be built next door to DART's Victory Park rail station.


"There is a lot of interest in that building since it sits right next to the DART station," said Mike Berry, president of Hillwood Properties. "We want it to have a cool, techy feel."


"More potential tenants are looking it at because of the tightness of the Uptown market," Berry said.

Newsflash: Developer willing to construct building if tenants are willing to rent it.

Can I have Steve Brown's job when he dies?

User avatar
Dallas12
Posts: 23
Joined: 30 Oct 2016 15:16

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Dallas12 » 19 Feb 2018 17:41

f4shionablecha0s wrote:
dallaz wrote:Developer pitching new office project in Dallas' Victory Park

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ctory-park


Developers in Dallas' Victory Park have just built four new apartment towers, a movie theater and additional retail.

Now an office tower is also in the works for the district on the northwest corner of downtown.
Developer Hillwood Urban is hunting tenants for a 15-story, 350,000-square-foot office that would be built next door to DART's Victory Park rail station.


"There is a lot of interest in that building since it sits right next to the DART station," said Mike Berry, president of Hillwood Properties. "We want it to have a cool, techy feel."


"More potential tenants are looking it at because of the tightness of the Uptown market," Berry said.

Newsflash: Developer willing to construct building if tenants are willing to rent it.

Can I have Steve Brown's job when he dies?

Not sure what you are getting at exactly? Steve is a real estate columnist that reports on real estate news.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1054
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby tamtagon » 19 Feb 2018 19:22

how about a 100 story building, shesh

User avatar
Dtown214
Posts: 20
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 19:42

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Dtown214 » 19 Feb 2018 23:05

^At least make it in the mid-20 stories but will take anything than a parking lot

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 344
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby willyk » 20 Feb 2018 03:21

Dallas12 wrote:
f4shionablecha0s wrote:
dallaz wrote:Developer pitching new office project in Dallas' Victory Park

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ctory-park







Newsflash: Developer willing to construct building if tenants are willing to rent it.

Can I have Steve Brown's job when he dies?

Not sure what you are getting at exactly? Steve is a real estate columnist that reports on real estate news.


Even if Steve is repeating a developer’s marketing pitch, the fact that Hillwood is proposing 15 stories of office tells you something valauble about Hillwood’s perception of the office market.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 330
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Tucy » 20 Feb 2018 09:45

f4shionablecha0s wrote:
dallaz wrote:Developer pitching new office project in Dallas' Victory Park

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ctory-park


Developers in Dallas' Victory Park have just built four new apartment towers, a movie theater and additional retail.

Now an office tower is also in the works for the district on the northwest corner of downtown.
Developer Hillwood Urban is hunting tenants for a 15-story, 350,000-square-foot office that would be built next door to DART's Victory Park rail station.


"There is a lot of interest in that building since it sits right next to the DART station," said Mike Berry, president of Hillwood Properties. "We want it to have a cool, techy feel."


"More potential tenants are looking it at because of the tightness of the Uptown market," Berry said.

Newsflash: Developer willing to construct building if tenants are willing to rent it.

Can I have Steve Brown's job when he dies?


I hope you are able to maintain his level of comedy.

This is the "last large development site" in Victory Park??? Then four sentences later: "Hillwood has land along Victory Avenue to build 1.5 million square feet of office space."

So, I guess this is the last large development site, except for the other sites Hillwood has on Victory Avenue; and except for the site of Hines' proposed second office tower??

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 273
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby The_Overdog » 20 Feb 2018 10:28

So, I guess this is the last large development site, except for the other sites Hillwood has on Victory Avenue; and except for the site of Hines' proposed second office tower??


It's the last site in Victory Park in the same way that every suburb north of Dallas is 'built out' which is why they have to create a new one farther to the north. At least we're using the terminology for downtown-adjacent now.

User avatar
Jasimm
Posts: 153
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 22:47

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Jasimm » 20 Feb 2018 21:15

Possible departure of Hard Rock Cafe?
"WRC Advisors has purchased the retail center on the ground floor of the House condominium at Lamar and Houston in Victory Park. Nordbank, the lender on the property, foreclosed on the space in 2012 and sold it to WRC Advisors for an undisclosed amount, according to the Dallas Morning News. WRC’s David Shafer said his company is looking to lease up the vacant space. All of the condos (more than 150 units) have sold and Shafer said WRC is optimistic about the property’s prospects. The firm aims to improve the property in addition to pursuing new retail tenants. Arguably the most notable tenant is the Hard Rock Café that occupies over 9K SF in the building. Shafer said WRC and Hard Rock Café are in talks regarding lease terms to see whether or not Hard Rock will stay."

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/ ... ands-84520

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 176
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby exelone31 » 21 Feb 2018 08:36

Jasimm wrote:Possible departure of Hard Rock Cafe?
"Arguably the most notable tenant is the Hard Rock Café that occupies over 9K SF in the building. Shafer said WRC and Hard Rock Café are in talks regarding lease terms to see whether or not Hard Rock will stay."

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/ ... ands-84520


Does the Hard Rock get much traffic down there? I have only been to it once years ago, and there was nooooooobody there. I know the other kitschy restaurants (Dick's, Hooters, HOB) are down there, but not sure the area will sustain them all forever.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1054
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby tamtagon » 21 Feb 2018 08:57

Time for the Seminoles to move the collectible items & restaurant to Deep Ellum with a hotel.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 457
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby lakewoodhobo » 21 Feb 2018 11:40

tamtagon wrote:Time for the Seminoles to move the collectible items & restaurant to Deep Ellum with a hotel.


Or the Design District and reopen the hotel made famous by the Beatles.

cabana-motor-hotel_portal_postmarked-1967.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1054
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby tamtagon » 21 Feb 2018 12:00

totally! much better

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 372
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby R1070 » 21 Feb 2018 18:54

Hard Rock would do way better in another area of downtown.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 809
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Feb 2018 23:57

Hard rock needs a hotel. The hard rock café un Dallas Is Applebee's with guitars on the wall. Yet another unmemorable dining option.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 831
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Feb 2018 10:01

Now that Virgin is opening a hotel in Dallas does that signal a market for a potential Hard Rock? I ask because Virgin is a brand that markets differently than a Marriot or a Hilton. Was W Hotel that bellwether of more rock and roll brands coming to the market? How about the Lorenzo it certainly plays the artsy card hard. Would Hard Rock consider a hotel in the Cedars where several venues call home? The land is about to get pricer down there when the high-speed train station comes in to play. Or is Deep Ellum a better fit for a Hard Rock hotel or the Cafe if they move? Personally, I am not against a Hard Rock hotel taking up camp in Victory but I doubt they would want to be that close to the W.

Based on the way I read the article I imagine the Hard Rock Cafe will be staying. The intention of the statement changes massively when you change one word and it just as easily could have been translated harsher than it means.

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 344
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby willyk » 08 Mar 2018 01:21

Orange Theory is under construction in The 23, and part of the Vista retail frontage now has a construction wall in front of it.

With all of the contiguous retail and the theatre, VP has the potential to achieve a lively, West Village type of vibe. I am feeling optimistic.

User avatar
dzh
Posts: 10
Joined: 14 Dec 2016 20:24

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby dzh » 08 Mar 2018 07:31

I could end up being very wrong, but I'm thinking with all these nightlife establishments opening up that it's very possible that Victory Park becomes a new nighttime hotspot (especially with a lot of the bars being pushed off of McKinney Avenue). However, I guess we won't really know until the first round of new retail opens up here...

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 276
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby eburress » 08 Mar 2018 12:00

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Now that Virgin is opening a hotel in Dallas does that signal a market for a potential Hard Rock? I ask because Virgin is a brand that markets differently than a Marriot or a Hilton. Was W Hotel that bellwether of more rock and roll brands coming to the market? How about the Lorenzo it certainly plays the artsy card hard. Would Hard Rock consider a hotel in the Cedars where several venues call home? The land is about to get pricer down there when the high-speed train station comes in to play. Or is Deep Ellum a better fit for a Hard Rock hotel or the Cafe if they move? Personally, I am not against a Hard Rock hotel taking up camp in Victory but I doubt they would want to be that close to the W.

Based on the way I read the article I imagine the Hard Rock Cafe will be staying. The intention of the statement changes massively when you change one word and it just as easily could have been translated harsher than it means.


I happen to know Rolling Stone magazine is in the process of launching a brand of hotels which would be on par with the Dream brand (I met their execs who were scouting the Dream Hotel in Hollywood). Their plan is for Dallas to be one of their first locations but to this point, they're only looking at Uptown (rather than the DD, Deep Ellum, Cedars, etc).

Edit-> so to answer your question, yes, it seems there is a market for a potential Hard Rock, and/or brands like it.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1054
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby tamtagon » 08 Mar 2018 12:22

dzh wrote:I could end up being very wrong, but I'm thinking with all these nightlife establishments opening up that it's very possible that Victory Park becomes a new nighttime hotspot (especially with a lot of the bars being pushed off of McKinney Avenue). However, I guess we won't really know until the first round of new retail opens up here...


...would be totally great if Victory Park relieved much of the late night McKinney Avenue pressure rather than just Deep Ellum.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 330
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Tucy » 08 Mar 2018 12:48

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Now that Virgin is opening a hotel in Dallas does that signal a market for a potential Hard Rock? I ask because Virgin is a brand that markets differently than a Marriot or a Hilton. Was W Hotel that bellwether of more rock and roll brands coming to the market? How about the Lorenzo it certainly plays the artsy card hard. Would Hard Rock consider a hotel in the Cedars where several venues call home? The land is about to get pricer down there when the high-speed train station comes in to play. Or is Deep Ellum a better fit for a Hard Rock hotel or the Cafe if they move? Personally, I am not against a Hard Rock hotel taking up camp in Victory but I doubt they would want to be that close to the W.

Based on the way I read the article I imagine the Hard Rock Cafe will be staying. The intention of the statement changes massively when you change one word and it just as easily could have been translated harsher than it means.


One should not put too much time into deciphering that article. It's not as if the writer was careful with her selection of words.

-- Referring to 20,000 square feet of ground floor retail as a "retail center" is a bit of a stretch.
-- The building does not have, and has never had, more than 150 condos.
-- The best line is that "Arguably, the most notable tenant is the Hard Rock Cafe." Arguably, the most notable tenant??? Aren't they the only tenant?

DPatel304
Posts: 758
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Mar 2018 14:54

willyk wrote:With all of the contiguous retail and the theatre, VP has the potential to achieve a lively, West Village type of vibe. I am feeling optimistic.


Absolutely. I honestly think it has potential to be better than West Village. It has a more mainstream cinema (that looks like it'll be bigger), you have the upcoming Tom Thumb not too far, with all the residential/hotel already being established. It's basically like the reverse situation of West Village, because West Village started small, and is only now adding a hotel and more residential.

dzh wrote:I could end up being very wrong, but I'm thinking with all these nightlife establishments opening up that it's very possible that Victory Park becomes a new nighttime hotspot (especially with a lot of the bars being pushed off of McKinney Avenue). However, I guess we won't really know until the first round of new retail opens up here...


There is definitely some potential for night life in the area, so you might be right. It seems there are a few establishments coming from teams with a solid background and you already have the extremely popular Happiest Hour there too. I think the problem here is that there are already a number of high-end residential units in the area and I feel there will be a lot of pushback if the party gets too crazy. A lot of the retail here is directly connected to these buildings, which gives building overs more control. In Uptown you had a few single family homes which were easy to convert into bars, but you don't have anything like that in VP.

User avatar
Cbdallas
Posts: 153
Joined: 29 Nov 2016 16:42

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Cbdallas » 15 Mar 2018 12:00

I walked off the Katy trail last evening around 6pm into Victory Park and I have to say it had been a while since I had been there at that time during the week with no event at AAC. I had hoped with all of the new apartments leasing up and opening that I would have seen more people walking around eating at the existing restaurants but that was not the case and it was a beautiful evening to be outside. I can only hope that once the movie theater opens and some of those other restaurant pubs open that the people will show up. I felt bad for the new italian place at the bottom of the newest skyhouse as it was empty as was Neo's Pizza. I really hope all of this new plan works but I was dissapointed with what I saw last night.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 1054
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby tamtagon » 15 Mar 2018 12:22

Victory Park really is the logical 'next step' for Dallas' wayfaring nightlife scene. As the transformation of McKinney Avenue continues, the still raucous but too buttoned up for Deep Ellum party will naturally settle in Victory Park --- unless they mess it up with another attempt to be all worldly jet-set Vegas-Miami pretentious.

DPatel304
Posts: 758
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby DPatel304 » 15 Mar 2018 21:39

That's disappointing to hear, but, like you said, I think things won't really pick up until the theater opens. It also doesn't help that there is still a lot of construction in the area, which isn't pleasant.

I think Victory Park has to also convince people that the area has actually changed to. People in DFW are good at checking out the 'latest spot' and if a neighborhood is up and coming, it will generate a good amount of buzz just for being new and will attract people that way. Victory Park is different. It's not new at all, it's about as old as West Village, so everyone has been and everyone was disappointed and has probably written it off. Basically I think if Victory Park were a brand new district, it would have an easier time convincing people to check it out.

I do think the movie theater will be the game changer for the area. It obviously won't revive the area on it's own, but it will be enough to bring in regular foot traffic until the area really picks up.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 227
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby Matt777 » 16 Mar 2018 05:07

DPatel304 wrote:That's disappointing to hear, but, like you said, I think things won't really pick up until the theater opens. It also doesn't help that there is still a lot of construction in the area, which isn't pleasant.

I think Victory Park has to also convince people that the area has actually changed to. People in DFW are good at checking out the 'latest spot' and if a neighborhood is up and coming, it will generate a good amount of buzz just for being new and will attract people that way. Victory Park is different. It's not new at all, it's about as old as West Village, so everyone has been and everyone was disappointed and has probably written it off. Basically I think if Victory Park were a brand new district, it would have an easier time convincing people to check it out.

I do think the movie theater will be the game changer for the area. It obviously won't revive the area on it's own, but it will be enough to bring in regular foot traffic until the area really picks up.


Maybe they should change the name of the area to rebrand. Nothing about that area is park-like anyway. Victory Heights fits better.

User avatar
willyk
Posts: 344
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby willyk » 16 Mar 2018 09:32

VP Retail Construction:

In the garage building:
It’s Sugar - bulk candy and ice cream

In the Vista:
1/3 is Billy Can - a saloon
2/3 is Hatchways - coworking for creatives. Upstairs is office space. Ground floor entry is a large display area for creative works. Also has a large coffee shop on the ground floor.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cowboyeagle05 and 8 guests

Login