Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Reverchon Park

lakewoodhobo

Reverchon Park

Postby lakewoodhobo » 26 Jan 2018 15:34

If you've ever wanted to run Dallas' oldest, most beloved field of dreams, here's your chance

More than a year after the park board initially agreed it could no longer give the park the love or money it deserves, the Park and Recreation Department issued a request for proposals last week looking for someone to operate and maintain the Reverchon ball field. Not just run, either, but remake from scratch.

And then there's this from the requests: A new operator will have to "demolish all existing field, buildings, fences and parking that are associated with the existing ball field." Which means the historic grandstands, almost a century old, will eventually be razed, unless they fall down first.

I love history and all, but I wonder if this is worth preserving. I still want to see minor league baseball come to downtown Dallas (Reunion); this site would make for a great outdoor theater or band shell for music festivals. Maybe I'm totally off, IDK.

muncien

Re: Reverchon Park

Postby muncien » 26 Jan 2018 15:51

Parking and access to that portion of the park has always been a pain. I remember seeing this grumpy lady walking up and down taking pictures of cars parked illegally, and threatening people. The police never seemed to mind...

Anyways... The field always seem to be the least used portion of the park (not counting occasional drug deal or 'hook up'). I wouldn't be terribly sad to see it removed permanently.

Im still holding out hope that they come to their senses and convert half that creek tunnel under DNT into a bike path to connect to the Cedars, instead of that obnoxiously expensive bike bridge they keep throwing around...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 26 Jan 2018 15:54

Considering it's proximity to Uptown, I think having a legit concert venue or even a festival like FPSF in Houston would be killer here.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Jan 2018 16:01

flyswatter wrote:Considering it's proximity to Uptown, I think having a legit concert venue or even a festival like FPSF in Houston would be killer here.

There was an indie festival scheduled there in 2016 called bulladora. But it got rained out and cancelled! I had tickets to see Alunageorge too....I was pissed!

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Jul 2018 11:40

I don't really follow baseball (can't all the handle the excitement), so I don't know if this is really news or not. I'm just surprised it hasn't shown up here.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Downtown-Dallas-Will-Soon-Be-Home-to-Pro-Baseball--You-Can-Help-Name-the-Team-487156051.html

Dallas Will Soon Be Home to Pro Baseball & You Can Help Name the Team!

Southwest League officials were in Dallas last week, where the city council voted to approve a 30-year lease agreement with Reverchon Sports and Entertainment (RSE), LLC. RSE, along with architects and Suffolk Construction, will design and built the multi-purpose venue for the city.

RSE will own and operate the professional minor league team at Reverchon Park.

Though the Texas Rangers are close by, Dallas is the largest city in the country without a professional baseball team inside city limits.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 Jul 2018 12:08

muncien wrote:Dallas Will Soon Be Home to Pro Baseball & You Can Help Name the Team!

It's about time! and this is such a better location for a minor league team that some of the near-misses from a decade ago pushing for Farmers Market, Cedars and/or Reunion Arena area.... Fair Park would be great for a minor league team, too.

I vote for the name Dallas Queens.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Jul 2018 14:19

I suggested Dallas Esquires

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Jul 2018 15:28

I'd prefer "Dallas Divas" over Queens...

But I could also go for 'Dystopia', 'Dysfunctional', 'Dysuria', 'Discord', 'Distraught', 'Disturbed', etc...

This could get fun!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jul 2018 17:15

I much prefer this to having the rangers move into the city, this is perfect. For local residents, you can even walk on the Katy Trail to go to a game and stop at a local restaurant or bar on the way home. I can't wait to see what kind of local support the team gets.

uptown74

Re: Cityplace West/West Village: Residential Tower (~250 FT / 23 ST) / Hilton Canopy (8 ST)

Postby uptown74 » 04 Jul 2018 21:25

Matt777 wrote:Maybe a combined Rustic/Mutts can be re-accommodated permanently on city owned park land somewhere else in Uptown, with a long term land lease from the city. Reverchon Park seems to have some underutilized land that could work.

If not, I wouldn't mind seeing them move to East Dallas into an empty land near the Ross and Haskell vicinity. This area has so much empty land that could be redeveloped.

---

Looks like Reverchon Park wont be underutilized for long when/if this happens. I wonder how much of the park this proposed venue will take up? I think they already have a small baseball field in the back somewhere......

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Down ... 56051.html

Matt777

Re: Cityplace West/West Village: Residential Tower (~250 FT / 23 ST) / Hilton Canopy (8 ST)

Postby Matt777 » 04 Jul 2018 23:42

uptown74 wrote:
Matt777 wrote:Maybe a combined Rustic/Mutts can be re-accommodated permanently on city owned park land somewhere else in Uptown, with a long term land lease from the city. Reverchon Park seems to have some underutilized land that could work.

If not, I wouldn't mind seeing them move to East Dallas into an empty land near the Ross and Haskell vicinity. This area has so much empty land that could be redeveloped.

---

Looks like Reverchon Park wont be underutilized for long when/if this happens. I wonder how much of the park this proposed venue will take up? I think they already have a small baseball field in the back somewhere......

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Down ... 56051.html

What a waste. We already have a popular DFW area baseball team, and this venue will likely be utilized very little, only on game days during baseball season. It will be a dead zone the vast majority of the time, whereas a Mutts/Rustic like venue would be active and lively every day. Once again, our city leadership fails us.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Jul 2018 08:11

I guess I am the only one that follows the news cause I've been following this project for months.

The reason this is happening is that the ballpark already at Reverchon is collapsing into the ground and needs to be replaced because it is currently almost completely useless. Largely because the city has not invested any maintenance money to it other than mowing the grass. The city put out bids over a year ago for a private company to build a new baseball field here and operate it along with providing field time to high schools, neighborhood groups etc. What the city got was a better offer for a team to actually call it home. So now we have a private group that is going to build a very nice medium tier baseball field for a professional team which will make it used in addition to scheduling the field with local groups and high school teams, events etc. Plus it will have access to the Katy Trail so people from all over Uptown will easily be able to walk down to see games at an affordable price. I'm on board.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Jul 2018 09:09

Dallas Damn-It!

What's going to happen if the Southwest League doesn't make it? Look like there's a grand total of four teams lined up, each to play 112 games in the inaugural 2019 season. I'd love to see the league grow landing perhaps a couple dozen team in cities around the South Central US. A small but potent source of civic pride!

We'll see what happens, but getting the Reverchon stadium repaired is fantastic. The best thing that could happen to the park would be a rebuild of the Tollway and Harry Hines and I-35 allowing Turtle Creek to actually flow above ground to the Design District and Reverchon to reclaim parkland that was lost during the glory days of traffic lane construction.