Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown: Carpenter Park

jrd1964

Downtown: Carpenter Park

Postby jrd1964 » 12 Dec 2017 11:44

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... 3214010161

While other projects are taking place (mainly the long wait for the completion of the re-arranged surrounding streets), the metal sculpture "Portal Park Piece (Slice)" (yes, it actually has a name) is being re-styled with new ends containing filigree-styled designs and cut-outs. The combined sculpture will return to the park in a new east-west alignment instead of the north-south original placement.

dd_dweller

Re: Downtown: Carpenter Park

Postby dd_dweller » 20 Aug 2018 14:19

Has there been any updates on the status of this project? This is now becoming a homeless camp area the past few weeks. I hope this doesn't become a tent city.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 21 Aug 2018 10:44

I read not too long ago that work was supposed to begin on this park once negotiations with DART about the East Transit Center and the subsequent realignment of Pearl took place. But the way the article was worded, the Cesar Chavez street work would have to be done before any of the Pearl activity starts up, and I've heard nothing yet about whether DART and the city have even come to any agreement about the Transit Center and the Pearl alignment. Hopefully the city won't drag its feet about any of the process, or they might have to add camp clearing and temporary fencing to the cost of the park.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 21 Aug 2018 11:26

Considering work is underway on Pacific Park, and the development going on in the East Quarter (and the new park slated to go in there), I could easily see this one getting bumped down the priority list.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Aug 2018 13:18

Wasn't it well known up front that the city would only work on one park at a time, with Pacific Park being the first? I think the exception to this would be the West End park, which they said they could, potentially, work on that in parallel with another park, but there is, currently, no timeline for that park.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 21 Aug 2018 13:36

It's a plaza, not a park. I would not even call "Klyde Warren" "Park" a park. It's a plaza.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Aug 2018 09:59

Hmm, what are you using as your measuring tool besides names because we know how plaza, centre and place have been abused over the decades to refer to shopping centers.

Pegasus Plaza is clearly a plaza since its mostly hardscape. Klyde Warren has large lawns and lots of flora so I would classify it as a park easily and Pacific and Main Street seem like the majority will still be grass/plant life so I would still classify them as parks. West End will most likely be more plaza then park with a majority of hardscape. Carpenter seems like it will be roughly 50% grassy areas and hardscape under the freeways.

muncien

Postby muncien » 28 Aug 2018 10:42

At least we aren't calling them 'Garden' anymore... Seriously, 'Belo Garden' and 'Main Street Garden' are terrible names. lol

Not to sound too much like a copy cat, I always felt that incorporating 'Square' into a downtown core plaza like Belo or Main Street do a much better job at establishing a sense of 'place' than the word 'garden' does. As it stands now... I wouldn't be surprised if some tourists from out of town to half expect to be able to pick fresh tomatoes at one of these 'gardens'.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 28 Aug 2018 16:57

Thanks-Giving Square is a triangle with a circular chapel.