Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

User avatar
soco
Posts: 20
Joined: 12 Dec 2016 16:51

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby soco » 07 Sep 2017 11:43

The City is already exploring various parking strategies to manage the bikes in the right-of-way. Ideas include saturating the service area with bike racks, bike corrals in high destination areas, etc. Downtown Dallas Inc. has pledged to install over 100 racks in the downtown area. The City is looking into buying more racks and continuing to have them installed throughout the core area like has already been done in downtown, Deep Ellum, and the Cedars. Staff has also been in contact with trail 'friends' groups to address bike parking along the trails.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 708
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby tamtagon » 07 Sep 2017 11:45

Thanks soco!

The bike rental companies share a funding responsibility.

User avatar
soco
Posts: 20
Joined: 12 Dec 2016 16:51

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby soco » 07 Sep 2017 11:46

Agreed. We've thought about requiring their participation in providing bike parking.

Also, the 311 system is being updated to include a way to report issues related to bike share. Comments/complaints can be logged and sent directly to the specific bike share company. The bike companies are listed by name and bike color so people can identify the proper company. That is going 'live' this week for the online system, and will be online soon for the app.
Last edited by soco on 07 Sep 2017 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

DPatel304
Posts: 403
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Sep 2017 11:51

That's great news! I'm really excited to see what more changes come to the city as a result of these bike sharing programs.

tamtagon wrote:The bike rental companies share a funding responsibility.


I'm not so sure I agree. I'm not against them sharing the funding, but Dallas has lagged way behind when it comes to bike infrastructure, and that's not VBikes/Spin/LimeBikes fault. We should be lucky that they even considered this city, considering how unfriendly it is to bikers, and I feel that adding bike racks is simply the city's way of catching up to where they should be.

But hey, even better if these programs to want to help with the funding.

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 105
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby Matt777 » 07 Sep 2017 14:39

These bike sharing companies have made a wonderful and super rapid impact on Dallas. I see people on these everywhere. Last week, I was having a lovely dinner at the food hall in the Farmer's Market, watching patrons arrive on their vBikes, and I was very impressed. I don't think the bike share companies should be responsible for additional bike rack costs. That's something the city should have been doing for years and has just dropped the ball. Not the companies' fault.

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 216
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Sep 2017 10:15

Matt777 wrote:These bike sharing companies have made a wonderful and super rapid impact on Dallas. I see people on these everywhere. Last week, I was having a lovely dinner at the food hall in the Farmer's Market, watching patrons arrive on their vBikes, and I was very impressed. I don't think the bike share companies should be responsible for additional bike rack costs. That's something the city should have been doing for years and has just dropped the ball. Not the companies' fault.


I know it's making a difference when even my friends (99% of which don't care about this civic stuff) start talking about how cool these bikes are and even start using them. Still not seeing how they will be profitable given how some bikes are being destroyed and/or sometimes used by some shady characters who probably aren't paying for them, but I really hope they stick around.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 522
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Sep 2017 12:47

lakewoodhobo wrote:
Matt777 wrote:These bike sharing companies have made a wonderful and super rapid impact on Dallas. I see people on these everywhere. Last week, I was having a lovely dinner at the food hall in the Farmer's Market, watching patrons arrive on their vBikes, and I was very impressed. I don't think the bike share companies should be responsible for additional bike rack costs. That's something the city should have been doing for years and has just dropped the ball. Not the companies' fault.


I know it's making a difference when even my friends (99% of which don't care about this civic stuff) start talking about how cool these bikes are and even start using them. Still not seeing how they will be profitable given how some bikes are being destroyed and/or sometimes used by some shady characters who probably aren't paying for them, but I really hope they stick around.


They sell data.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 400
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Sep 2017 09:31

Personally, I would love to see the data after a year. Create a hot map that shows all kinds of patterns. Such data could help improve bike infrastructure for sure but I wonder who else they sell to.

User avatar
awrocksu
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Sep 2017 12:25

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby awrocksu » 13 Sep 2017 12:29

Try the Orange Spin Bikes, they are amazing. If you use promo code spinride14 you can get 10 free rides. Just check it out at http://spinbikeshare.com

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 164
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby The_Overdog » 18 Sep 2017 17:13

I saw a Vbike parked outside a restaurant on Preston & Park in Plano on early Saturday morning. Somebody either rode a long way or gave that thing a ride in their car.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 217
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby R1070 » 22 Sep 2017 22:33

Been seeing a lot of homeless appearing folks on these bikes. I'm wondering if they are finding a way to crack them so they can just take them.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 522
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 Sep 2017 23:32

R1070 wrote:Been seeing a lot of homeless appearing folks on these bikes. I'm wondering if they are finding a way to crack them so they can just take them.


Lol. Hilarious. I have yet to see that. Are you sure they were homeless? It would be mighty difficult without hardware tools to break locks.

LongonBigD
Posts: 65
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 13:40
Location: Knox Park

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby LongonBigD » 23 Sep 2017 00:01

I recently saw 3 middle school kids riding. Did they have a credit card? Don't know.

Two thoughts: broken lock OR people don't know how to lock the bikes after they are finished.

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 341
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Las Colinas

Re: Dallas Bike Share: VBikes, Spin, LimeBike

Postby muncien » 06 Oct 2017 14:35

Not much here... but the City of Irving looks ready to approve placement of VBikes on Campion trail and other city property. I have recently seen the same bikes at Valley Ranch HOA office. They said they expect to allow them on Valley Ranch trails soon.

6 Resolution - Approving an Agreement with VBikes Technology to Allow
VBikes Bicycles on City Property at No Cost to the City of Irving
Administrative Comments
1. This item is recommended by the Parks and Recreation.
2. Impact: Approval of this agreement will allow VBikes Technology to provide
bicycles along Campion Trails for use by residents and the general public.
3. The VBikes program was presented to TNR on July 5, 2017.
4. Interested parties can download the VBikes app to sign up for service and pay
$1.00 per hour for each ride, or $14.95 per month for unlimited rides.
5. VBikes will operate their program on city property free of charge for a term of one
year, commencing upon execution of this agreement.
6. The agreement has a one-year renewal option and can be terminated at any time
by either party with ten (10) days written notice.
Recommendation
The resolution be approved.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login