Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Trinity Forest Golf Course

tamtagon
Site Admin

Trinity Forest Golf Course

Postby tamtagon » 19 May 2017 11:37

Glossy lauding prep piece for the 2018 AT&T Byron Nelson Championship Tournament. Overlooking all the flagrant missteps along the way to building the link course, this article focuses on the the potential to put Dallas back in the major leagues of PGA golf.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... ot-in.html

Golf's next big championship course taking root in South Dallas
May 19, 2017
Candace Carlisle

"The last major championship game in Dallas was played in 1952 and the last major championship game in Texas was played in 1969," Spears said. "If we can attract a major championship game and host the Byron Nelson, we will put Dallas in good golfing stead."

"We talked to all the governing bodies that manage the major championships and we really did want the golf course built to accommodate championships, whether it's a normal PGA Tour event like the Byron Nelson or whether it's a U.S. Open or PGA Championship — that's the real reason it was built," he added. "You'd probably do it differently if it was just going to be a purely private golf club."

We'll have to see some serious golf-park facility construction before this course elevates it's game.

rantanamo

Re: Trinity Forest Golf Course

Postby rantanamo » 20 May 2017 02:05

what kind of facilities have they build around the course?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 May 2017 11:21

^As far as I'm aware, one clubhouse is the only permanent building accommodating players and guests...

http://myavidgolfer.com/features/update-trinity-forest/

Thoughts on Trinity Forest…
Travis Measley / Apr. 1st, 2016

...Construction on the 25,000-square-foot clubhouse is scheduled to begin shortly, with an expected completion date of fall 2017. The clubhouse will overlook the 9th and 18th green, and will be on the south side of Great Trinity Forest Way, the main road that dissects the property.

Great Trinity Forest Way a.k.a. Loop 12 haha

oh, this is timely:
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other- ... uture-home

By Brad Townsend
"I think it will be a welcome break between what some would call the monotony of PGA Tour golf courses."
On Tuesday, Dallas' Jordan Spieth, a Trinity Forest member, told us that he has shot 7-under here, but also 7-over.
With no trees, obviously there is no natural shade. Salesmanship Club and Trinity Forest officials say much of the sun exposure will be alleviated by tournament-specific structures and hospitality areas throughout the course.

What about parking?
"Right now we have 7,000 parking spaces [for Trinity Forest] that are a shorter bus ride, by time, than the ride from the old Texas Stadium," said Moore, alluding to the Nelson's current primary parking area. "There's three different ways to get to the course. On the clock it's faster than getting to the front door of the Four Seasons."
Declining to be more specific, Moore told Chip Shots that negotiations are underway to secure land that would provide closer-in parking for players and sponsors.

Sure, the course will need more on site parking over time, but absolutely no forest cutting for parking lots just for special event activities. The booster club talks a good game about how this golf course will add to downtown activities, and it certainly will during big important tournaments.

Build a world class round-about for buses and shuttles carrying all the special event crowds from downtown.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 May 2017 19:45

I remember when this Private Golf course was announced. The mayor touted it would be great for South Dallas.

Prediction...This tournament will do nothing for South Dallas!

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 21 May 2017 06:44

depends on what you mean by "for South Dallas". Certainly will do nothing for South Dallas as we know it.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 May 2017 15:34

What is the luxury hotel line that has announced they will be building a fantastic four star hotel and resort near this place?

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 23 May 2017 01:27

My sarcasm meter is malfunctioning. Is that serious or a joke?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 May 2017 08:41

I'm sure they will just helicopter guests to the Downtown Omni...

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 May 2017 20:52

rantanamo wrote:My sarcasm meter is malfunctioning. Is that serious or a joke?

Its serious sarcasm

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 May 2017 22:24

That was a fleeting mention, and I don't remember at all the brand or if a general location had been mentioned, but I do remember it. Also remember wondering if this hotel would have been anywhere near Wonderview (haha Mark Cuban 2010).... but I'm not feeling a hotel on the east side of the River, more like right across the street....

SMU Golf and perhaps other collegiate sport activity will need facilities, is horse riding (or associated?) a college sport? Polo? How about some Mustang Soccer?

If the PGA shows up big for this golf course, there's going to be some nice ballrooms, suites and rooftop drinking & dining. I've always figured Pemberton Hill would succumb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Parks, Trails, + Miscellaneous Infrastructure”