Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Street name changes/proposals

jrd1964

Street name changes/proposals

Postby jrd1964 » 11 Aug 2017 11:53

Yesterday I saw 2 street name change proposal signs, one at I-635/Plano Rd., the other at Plano Rd./Miller. They both mentioned Plano Rd. changing to Lake Highlands Dr. I didn't get to go farther north, but based on what I saw, I would guess the change would affect most of (if not all of) Plano Rd. inside the Dallas city limits. I also didn't get to see Richardson's or Garland's take on it; my assumption is that they won't do anything and leave the name alone.

I remember quite a while ago there being plans for a possible name change, but nothing happened about it at the time.

LongonBigD

Re: Street name changes/proposals

Postby LongonBigD » 11 Aug 2017 19:48

Seems like I saw something that the proposed change was to be within I-635. Does that correspond to Dallas city limits? I don't think they were changing in other cities ... because it's the road to Plano!

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 12 Aug 2017 07:08

The city limits of Dallas go on up a little farther there. I think on the west side of Plano Rd. it goes up to or near Buckingham Rd., and on the east side north of Forest there is a part of Garland up to or near Buckingham. Both sides are in Richardson north of Buckingham. I thought about I-635 from before, but there was also a street change notice sign about it at Plano Rd./Miller, so maybe it will change that far north (?).

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 12 Aug 2017 09:26

The Lake Highlands Advocate reports that the proposal would be to change the name at Forest Lane. It is suggested that with the redo of I635 East, an exit sign for "Lake Highlands Road" would bring visibility to increase name awareness and property values for Lake Highlands. There was a public hearing at Dallas City Council last week, but I don't know was resulted.

If passed, Plano Road would only exist in Richardson because in Plano, it's called Ave K. After Plano, in Allen in changes names to Greenville Ave. It's a Dallas area thing -- one road, at least three names!

electricron

Postby electricron » 13 Aug 2017 08:51

LongonBigD wrote: It's a Dallas area thing -- one road, at least three names!

It's not just a Dallas area thing. :shock:
It's very common throughout the world for cities to have their own names for the same street. Withn some cities the same street has different names.