Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Dallas Love Field People Mover

art_suckz

Dallas Love Field People Mover

Postby art_suckz » 19 Oct 2016 10:27

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/love ... light-rail

Dallas Love Field officials again eyeing 'people mover' linking airport to light rail
Robert Wilonsky, City Columnist
Oct. 18, 2016

Out of nowhere Monday afternoon, a brief update about the massive parking garage currently under construction at Dallas Love Field turned into breaking news about a possible "people mover" connecting the airport with at least one Dallas Area Rapid Transit light-rail station.

After the meeting, he was again quick to caution that "this is very early. It may not even happen."
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

DPatel304

Re: Dallas Love Field People Mover

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Oct 2016 19:09

I'm not as familiar with this airport or the green line, but I'm wondering why they even mention the Bachman station when it looks like the Burbank station is essentially right outside the airport. Both stations are close, I suppose, but, just look at the map, the Burbank station seems a lot closer.

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 20 Oct 2016 13:48

There is a cross-wind runway that was decommissioned. Once that is closed it will only be used for taxiing aircraft.

Sounds like they want a new entry into the airport on the north side as well as a streetcar style people mover going all the way up to northwest highway. I guess that makes the other station more suitable.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Oct 2016 22:08

having a entrance on the northside would be great!

willyk

Postby willyk » 22 Oct 2016 22:30

I wonder how they would route the cars from the north side to the front of the terminal? How would they avoid runways and taxiways?

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 24 Oct 2016 16:01

Best I can figure, from Burbank, the trolley would go North on Denton, then East on Shorecrest to Weiss. Then south on Weiss on the current north end of the airfield. A road and trolley line would have to be built that follows the East side of 13R/31L, similar to the way Herb Kelleher Way does now. Likely they would convert the outside taxiway on 13R/31L by the Firestation into part of the new route for the road/trolley. You would have to then tunnel under 18/36 until you get to the West side of the Baggage claim building. You could build a pickup/dropoff area there, and then the road would join the existing Herb Kelleher Way by Garage A.

It's definitely doable. Complicated but doable

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 24 Oct 2016 16:05

You'd also have to figure out what to do with the de-icing area, that would likely have to be moved a little East and North.

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 27 Oct 2016 14:05

Hmm, should this be moved and combined with Airports? Or left with Rail?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Oct 2016 16:16

I titled the other one Dallas Love Field, I am sure other topics will surface that will be more relevant to the airport.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 19 Sep 2018 16:05

Idea dump..... if they are exploring digging underground for a people mover to connect the terminal to the DART Orange Line..... why not just create it as a single track "spur" off of the Orange Line where a train spurs off from somewhere to the orange line underground to the terminal, drops/collects passengers, and backs out and back onto the existing line. Schedules would have to be coordinated to where there weren't 2 trains at the station at the same time but that shouldn't be too hard. Then we would have a line connecting both major airports easily and quickly to Downtown.

If Southwest ever operated at DFW.... it could also be a decent way to connect their DFW and Love operations.

Call it the Airport Line or Airport Express.