Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

DCTA (Denton Co. Transportation Authority)

itsjrd1964

DCTA (Denton Co. Transportation Authority)

Postby itsjrd1964 » 01 Nov 2018 01:56

Despite Mass Transit Push, Ridership Continues to Lag

The amount of people using DCTA trains and buses is lower by 17%. A new CEO is in place as of recent weeks. He wants to find solutions, which may end up including lower fares.

https://www.dcta.net/
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Despi ... 74731.html

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: DCTA (Denton Co. Transportation Authority)

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 01 Nov 2018 09:40

itsjrd1964 wrote:Despite Mass Transit Push, Ridership Continues to Lag

The amount of people using DCTA trains and buses is lower by 17%. A new CEO is in place as of recent weeks. He wants to find solutions, which may end up including lower fares.

Boosting frequencies is what they need to figure out how to do.

electricron

Postby electricron » 01 Nov 2018 15:18

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
itsjrd1964 wrote:Despite Mass Transit Push, Ridership Continues to Lag

Boosting frequencies is what they need to figure out how to do.

During the rush hours they are running trains with 22 minute headways, which is very good for a single track line.
Increasing headways during non peak hours might help increase traffic then, but you have to have a minimum demand of passengers first.

I believe traffic will increase after they extend the train to meet future Cotton Belts trains, increasing the number of destinations available for Denton County passengers. It’s just a matter of waiting for the Cotton Belt to enter service.

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 01 Nov 2018 21:41

I think the major reason for the YOY decline on the A-Train is the completion of I-35E construction. Traffic flows better than it ever has so a good chunk of people who rode the train switched back to their car. I do agree that extending it down to Belt Line is a way to increase ridership, making it a direct connection to the Cotton Belt should really help....

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Nov 2018 16:29

Alex Rodriguez wrote:I think the major reason for the YOY decline on the A-Train is the completion of I-35E construction. Traffic flows better than it ever has so a good chunk of people who rode the train switched back to their car. I do agree that extending it down to Belt Line is a way to increase ridership, making it a direct connection to the Cotton Belt should really help....

Interesting...people prefer their own vehicles to the train. Not really surprising but I didn't think about the TEXpress lanes competing with the train. Eventually that may go back the other way as 35 fills up.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 15 Nov 2018 22:59

DCTA is looking at a Lewisville <==> McKinney commuter bus route. The Lewisville terminus would be at the DCTA Old Town station along the A-train line, while the McKinney end would be the hospital area just east of US 75/TX 121. Stops envisioned along the route would include Craig Ranch, The Star, DART Northwest Plano Park & Ride, and the Grandscape development in The Colony. It was mentioned at the end of the video that DCTA wants to approach each affected city to help fund the service. There would likely be a 2-year window to get plans for the route firmed up.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/traffic/stories/500575132.html

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Nov 2018 18:30

I am not surprised I would think its logical that transit systems are going to find smaller pools of potential riders in the further and further out cities and counties. DCTA does a better job than most in that they realize they are not an inner-city transit system and that they are simply connecting people to bigger populated places. For them making the exact right connections is critical for a suburban/countryside transit that is attractive to feed into things like DART. This is why I get so frustrated with DART they have a larger pool of potential frustrated car static customers but still have a terrible bus system and still have more visions for more and more long-distance suburban outreach trains. DCTA is generally doing a good job though of not living outside their means in terms of what they are. DART on the other side thinks they are doing the inner city thing while really chasing after minivans driving up 75 and DNT.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Nov 2018 11:05

IMO... The whole "1/4 mile" threshold needs to be reconsidered. DART tries to get service to as many people in the service area based on being within 1/4 mile of a bus stop. Because of how spread out many areas of the service are is, you end up thinning out your service to provide 'more' coverage... and as a result, provide poorer service.
Instead, DART should adjust bus service to core routes with frequent service, and maybe switch to a "1/2 mile" threshold for determining coverage. It's a ridiculously easy change that could be implemented in a matter of months.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

electricron

Postby electricron » 22 Nov 2018 00:12

muncien wrote:IMO... The whole "1/4 mile" threshold needs to be reconsidered. DART tries to get service to as many people in the service area based on being within 1/4 mile of a bus stop. Because of how spread out many areas of the service are is, you end up thinning out your service to provide 'more' coverage... and as a result, provide poorer service.
Instead, DART should adjust bus service to core routes with frequent service, and maybe switch to a "1/2 mile" threshold for determining coverage. It's a ridiculously easy change that could be implemented in a matter of months.

Carrying your idea further;
DART should run rapid bus services along major thoroughfares emitting from downtown Dallas in spokes, connecting north Dallas through downtown into south Dallas, or Pleasant Grove, or Oak Cliff. Bus stops should be placed about a half mile apart, less say every eight blocks or so (2400 feet or 800 yards). Then add some circular rapid bus routes which wil run perpendiclular to the earleir routes as well. Set up a great grid, where the grid is tighter closer to downtown and wider further from downtown. Running buses down residential streets with stops two blocks apart (600 feet or 200 yards) should be the exception rather than the rule. I believe most riders are willing and capable of walking more than 2 football fields to catch a bus.

When the buses get as far out as Denton County, and with just three cities as members supporting DCTA with taxes, an express bus service should be better, with mini-buses providing pick up direct services reserved a day or two in advance. That (the latter) is what we get as normal services in rural counties.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 26 Nov 2018 11:04

electricron wrote: Bus stops should be placed about a half mile apart, less say every eight blocks or so (2400 feet or 800 yards). Then add some circular rapid bus routes which wil run perpendiclular to the earleir routes as well. Set up a great grid, where the grid is tighter closer to downtown and wider further from downtown. Running buses down residential streets with stops two blocks apart (600 feet or 200 yards) should be the exception rather than the rule. I believe most riders are willing and capable of walking more than 2 football fields to catch a bus.

There's nothing more agonizing than being on a bus in somewhat of a hurry and seeing someone request Stop A when another person is waiting at Stop B, and they both came from/went to somewhere in the middle of stops A & B.

It's one thing if there are more closely spaced stops with Shelters, since that serves as a refuge from weather and people can quickly get from the building to the stop, but otherwise it doesn't matter whether you're waiting at a sign midblock or a bench at the intersection - you're still soaked