Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

DART: Expansion

Hannibal Lecter

Re: DART: Expansion

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 13 Dec 2016 17:06

Needs to stay underground until north of Elm Street.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Dec 2016 19:29

I still don't really get why B7 isnt a streetcar.

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Dec 2016 09:30

I just hope all the Deep Ellum opposition realize that all of these 'subway' options still have it at grade well before it reaches DE.

IMO, B7 makes sense as a subway. If you're going to shift south to C3A, you may as well go a block further to Canton and keep it at grade all the way. You could leverage the existing track all the way through the CC station, and save a ton of $. There really isn't a lot of traffic to disrupt, or neighborhood to split down there, but a couple stops may bring some new low/midrise apartment development. That alternative would cost pocket change (relatively speaking) compared to subway, and it could be build with almost nobody being disrupted, and in an incredibly short time frame.

We have to keep in mind that Subway construction, particularly at shallow depths as would be the case here, cause serious disruption to the neighborhoods above for several years. When LA built their subway, it killed the street life and business, and took many years to recover.

electricron

Postby electricron » 16 Dec 2016 18:52

jeffbrown2002 wrote:Exactly my point, those alignments have already been studied and had projected costs assigned to them, it seems to me subway proponents would be most satisfied with B7 while C3A would be a nice compromise.

d2b7mapfeb2009large.gif
c3a.png
Just hope all that research doesn't go to waste.

I have been suggesting B7 as my preferred subway route for a long time. ;)

electricron

Postby electricron » 24 Jan 2017 18:08

DART's Cotton Belt Line on possible short list of Trump infrastructure projects.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politic ... 164.html#0
P.S. So is the Texas Central HSR

No doubt a list is being made, and whether or not both, one, or neither project remains on this lists only the future can answer.
It'll be interesting to see what projects will make the final list.

willyk

Postby willyk » 28 Jan 2017 03:23