Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

the Cotton Belt line

electricron

Re: the Cotton Belt line

Postby electricron » 18 May 2018 08:38

jeffbrown2002 wrote:That's absolutely true but I would imagine that hurdle could be overcome (if there were any political will for it) with a cooperative agreement between DART and DCTA for trains between Dallas and Denton, similar to how the Trinity Railway Express operates between Dallas and Fort Worth and is funded by both DART and FWTA.

Again it's highly unlikely, for a number of different reasons, but not completely impossible either.

The DCTA, DART, and FWTA are different agencies financed to deliver tranist services by different cities. While it is true the TRE is half owned by FWTA and DART, and that they basically share the expenses to operate the trains 50-50 ..............it's important to remember how it originated.
Step 1, the Rock Island RR built and ran the line well over 50 years.
Step 2, the Rock Island RR entered bankruptcy
Step 3 and 4, the City of Fort Worth and the City of Dallas purchased the ROW within Dallas and Tarrant Counties respectively.
Step 5, both cities demanded the transit agencies servicing them to make the TRE happen or else. ;)
Step 6, the TRE became a reality as the transit agencies negotiated the 50-50 ratio of all responsibilities.

I don't think DART or the FWTA would have created TRE without the proactive steps taken and later demands from both cities. It was something both cities wanted to happen, and with the full political power of civic leaders from both cities behind it, the transit agencies couldn't delay it or prolong its implementation. Golly, the cities even purchased the ROW for them.

Haretip

Postby Haretip » 18 May 2018 12:28

Ah, but you make them sound so altruistic. Don't forget that they make money by charging the TRE (and the other railroads) for use of the tracks. It'd help the transit agencies' bottom line if the Cities of D and FW would sell or donate the line to them.
“A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man!” - Jebediah Springfield

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 23 Jul 2018 12:24

https://www.cor.net/home/showdocument?id=23137

This link has some pictures of the Cotton Belt rail line bridge that will cross over US75. It'll be slightly north of Renner Road, maybe 100 yards from the white parking garage on the east side of US75 that was recently constructed and adjacent to the new hotel under construction. I'm not around to see exactly where things are being built, but I kind of think the moved the hotel a bit in the rendering. :) It will also have some swoopy curved decorative arches.

If I'm looking at it correctly, it'll be too tall to add any pedestrian infrastructure to it - so just a rail bridge.

But for the rest of the Richardson portions, they will be adding a 10ft wide sidewalk and pedestrian bridge crossings parallel to the rail line.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 23 Jul 2018 12:51

Wonderful. Another bridge with unnecessary arches. Probably not even functional.

Won't these idiots ever learn?

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. It's just the taxpayer's money.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 23 Jul 2018 16:28

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Wonderful. Another bridge with unnecessary arches. Probably not even functional.

Won't these idiots ever learn?

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. It's just the taxpayer's money.

I don't see anything in the document specifying arches (functional or otherwise) beyond a couple of thumbnail concept renderings, just an agreement to reimburse DART for corridor design changes that Richardson wanted.

I'm curious, when will we see a City of Dallas resolution agreeing to reimburse DART for the $500M in additional costs they demanded with their desired D2 alignment?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 24 Jul 2018 12:11

TNWE wrote:I'm curious, when will we see a City of Dallas resolution agreeing to reimburse DART for the $500M in additional costs they demanded with their desired D2 alignment?

I'd love to see that. Teach the Morons on Marilla a lesson.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jul 2018 12:33

The DART board works at the convenience of the cities that have representatives. If the Dallas city council wants it to be underground because of a unified policy agreement between them I see no problem with them directing their representatives to vote that way.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 15 Aug 2018 15:10

I guess the final Cotton Belt line vote was supposed to be sometime soon; it's held up over the idea of scrapping versus delaying the Preston and Coit Stations. The fate of Adventure Landing hangs in the balance.