Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

DALLAS to HOUSTON High Speed Rail

Hannibal Lecter

Re: DALLAS to HOUSTON High Speed Rail

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 26 Feb 2020 15:59

Cbdallas wrote:Southwest and American AA sent out memos to all employees to go online and vote against.

I very much doubt this. Both airlines' current public position is that it they have no position. Quite frankly, Dallas-Houston is a small market for Southwest these days. The vast majority of AA's passengers between the two cities is connecting traffic, which wouldn't be affected by a train.

Why would either airline risk the bad publicity if such a memo got out -- which it would -- over a completely meaningless "survey" about something that would have little effect on them?

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 26 Feb 2020 16:32

I was being facetious. I was puzzled why a survey in a very pro business site would skew against this project.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Feb 2020 16:33

I voted in that unscientific poll five time, from five different computers.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Feb 2020 10:11

I tried but every time I tried to vote the page would just reload without counting my vote. Obviously a poll we should rely on for scientific data gathering.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 27 Feb 2020 11:10

Back in the early 90s when there was an earlier push to get high-speed rail in the Texas triangle, Southwest Airlines (and only Southwest, not Continental or American, fought it VERY hard. Short-haul, intra-Texas service was still Southwest's bread and butter at the time; now, not so much. My understanding is that none of them care very much one way or the other about the HSR project now.

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 27 Feb 2020 14:36

Tucy wrote:Back in the early 90s when there was an earlier push to get high-speed rail in the Texas triangle, Southwest Airlines (and only Southwest, not Continental or American, fought it VERY hard. Short-haul, intra-Texas service was still Southwest's bread and butter at the time; now, not so much. My understanding is that none of them care very much one way or the other about the HSR project now.

That is 100% correct.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Feb 2020 13:22

I can't imagine they would, and it's not like the HSR operation is going to significantly impact air service between Dallas and Houston. Traffic between the two metros will continue to grow between now and the day it opens and will still continue to grow after it opens. This is just one more option for people to take advantage of.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Feb 2020 15:54

By the time it's open, the two population centers will have grown by a combined one million residents. by the time the train is up and running, it will be time to double the service. Is there any hope the I-35 redo through Austin will give some room for HSR?

electricron

Postby electricron » 29 Feb 2020 01:31

tamtagon wrote:By the time it's open, the two population centers will have grown by a combined one million residents. by the time the train is up and running, it will be time to double the service. Is there any hope the I-35 redo through Austin will give some room for HSR?

There is not room for express-managed-hov lanes without tunneling them under the regular lanes which are under the service roads in Austin - where do you think they can place double track HSR line?
If they were capable of building a HSR line within the I-35 corridor, where would you place the HSR train station? The HSR train will be placing its Houston train station at Loop 610 and US290, five miles or more away from downtown Houston. Is there anywhere closer in Austin for a HSR train station?
I do not think so..... :(

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 29 Feb 2020 10:25

The devil is in the details on getting a HSR type corridor through Austin for a HSR station downtown. Until it’s studied in detail (Environmental Impact Statement) with cost and many other factors considered it would be hard to say now. IH-35 might indeed be very difficult but perhaps another corridor is doable.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 08 May 2020 16:51

Court says Texas Central is a railroad.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/t ... o-16918221

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 08 May 2020 16:52

Court says Texas Central is a railroad.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/t ... o-16918221